IntroductionIt is a sad fact that numerous tropical rainforest animals have become extinct over the last few decades. Never again to roam the earth. On this page you will find information about endangered tropical rainforest animals and the efforts being made to keep them off the list of extinct animals so that are kids and their kids can enjoy seeing them. It is believed that almost half of the world’s animal species live in the tropical rain forests and many are endangered. These endangered animals include mammals, birds, insects, reptiles, and amphibians. The main organization that tracts endangered animals is the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature). They maintain a Red List that classifies animals based on the severity of their chance of becoming extinct. Their classifications are Critically Endangered, Endangered, Threatened, Near-Threatened, and Vulnerable. Numerous animals that live in tropical rainforest appear in each category. It should be noted that their are numerous unknown animal species that have gone extinct and that are endangered.
Click here for a great selection of Amazon.com books about endangered rainforest animals.
Facts About Why Tropical Rainforest Animals Are Endangered
- Habitat loss - Rainforest are being destroyed at an unbelievable rate for many reasons including expansion of human civilization, for lumber, and for farming. The destruction of the rainforest takes away many species homes and food supply.
- Hunting and Fishing - Some animals such as the Passenger Pigeon have been hunted to extinction and unfortunately there are many rainforest animals such as the African Gorilla which face the same fate.
- Pollution - With the expansion of humans into rainforests comes pollution that has killed off numerous species. Pollution affects both the health and habitats of these animals.
- Introduction of Invasive species - Animals can be negatively impacted by the introduction of new animals into their habitats. An example of this is the Galapagos tortoise. This animals population drop drastically when goats, dogs, pigs, and other animals brought to the island by European settlers fed on the animals food and ate the tortoise eggs.
Endangered Tropical Rainforest Animal ListIt would be impossible to list all the endangered tropical rainforest animals; here we list just a few of these animals that are in danger of extinction.
- Gorillas - These intelligent animals that live in Africa are threatened by loss of habitat and hunting.
- Golden Lion Tamarin - Once plentiful in Brazil this tropical rainforest monkey is very close to extinction. This is primarily due to hunting. A high price is paid for its fur on the black market.
- Chimpanzees - Hunting and habitat destruction have landed this monkey on the list of endangered species.
- Orangutans - These inhabitants of the tropical rain forests of Sumatra and Borneo are dwindling in numbers due to hunting and destruction of their habitat.
- Jaguars - These magnificent predators who live in the tropical rainforest of South America, Central America and Mexico are threatened. Although against the law in most countries these animals are still being hunted.
- Harpy Eagles - This large eagle species that lives in the tropical rainforests of South America and Central America may soon disappear from the earth if the destruction of its nesting sites continues.
- Toucans - These colorful birds live in the rainforests of South and Central American. Several of the various species of this animal are threatened. This is mainly due to loss of habitat and the demand for them as pets.